Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Revolution

I wrote this a couple years ago and thought I'd share it...
It was written from a place of "I just don't get it" mixed with a hint of, obvious, sarcastic humor...


The common, simple
Cubans
paper-skin hands holding
ration books

yeah-- ration books
sweating, hours in line-
waiting. A gallon of milk (but only for 7, younger or dying)

A delicious ad in eye-catching colors;
The fresh cut deli-style, dripping, saucy sight....
Layers of savory meat,
nestled perfectly between aged cheese and
July's garden of veggies.
Senses halt to take it in.
"Cuban sandwich.."
Sweltering buds play kick-ball in my mouth.


Huh....Meat?
Most eyes have never seen.
Half a chicken [a week]for FOUR!
Is doled by luck itself.
So I have to ask,
What exactly IS a Cuban sandwich?

Wait--
It must be part of the green movement..

Irony stands proud over eco-friendly wasteland.
Waving red flags of peace-
[15% organic folks!]
While X-mart peddles "transitional cotton" wear
hand-stitched by children,
we sit with suction-cupped eyes to the tube,
in our non-toxic, biodegradable homes,
proud to be American, where at least we know we're free?
And self preservation devours Cuba
licking fingers as if each were--

"Cuban sandwich...."

Now that ladies and gentlemen...
....that is a glimpse of a Revolution.

1 comment:

  1. Woah! That was powerful and sarcastic and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete